Happy (advanced) New Year, everyone! Each year, I try to write out my resolutions on my blog, and revisit them everyday. Having a constant reminder helps me stick to my goals throughout the year.
In 2015, my goal was to post more often on my blog, making an effort to keep you in the loop of all things downtown at least once a week. I may have faltered just a tiny bit, but have tried my best to be punctual. My other goal was to resist social media posts after 9 p.m., but let’s be honest… there is no way I can do that!
But for 2016, I have just one resolution that I’m hoping I’ll be able to stick to! My 2016 New Year’s resolution is to try at least one new restaurant downtown a month. We all have our local favourite spots, and when things get real busy, you stick to your comfort zone. I’m hoping to be more adventurous in the new year and cross my foodie bucket list and share with you some reviews.
What are your 2016 New Year’s resolutions? Comment below.
Once you have your lists of resolutions prepped, start thinking about how you’re going to ring in the New Year! Grab that bottle of prosecco, dress up in that fancy dress or bowtie, then make your way to an evening gala or party and toast the (down)town! Here are some places to check out!
- Rock around the clock at RBC Convention Centre: Enjoy a 1950’s themed evening featuring a gourmet meal, entertainment and sounds from the Ron Paley 21 Piece Band.
- The Forks Family New Year’s Eve: Freewagon rides, face painting, skating, live entertainment and much more. Music by local favourites like Slow Leaves and Sierra Noble. Countdown under the canopy and be dazzled by a fireworks show.
- Ginger ale toast and festive balloon drop at the Children’s Museum: Dress up in your best for a family-friendly New Year’s Eve event that features tasty snacks, souvenir family photos, and musical entertainment by The Solutions.
- Nu Year’s Event: DJ favourites, Drux, Lambo, and Tec-G will light up a historic favourite, The Metropolitan Entertainment Centre.
- Nouveau: Celebrate in style at one of downtown’s newest and friendly spots, The Planit.
- One Night in Bedrock: 20 bones gets you a champagne toast at midnight and late night buffet, door prizes, and music!
- Festive dining at Fairmont Winnipeg: Oysters, confit duck, lobster capellini, beef fillet, gin and tonic sorbet, and pineapple upside down cake.
- Boogie under a canopy of lights at Rudy’s Eat and Drink: The Family Planners will pump you up in addition to great food and libations.
- Masquerade Karaoke: No cover, free parking at Pony Corral. World Karaoke Champion Elsaida Alerta will help you ring in the New Year!
And one of my favourite things to do, is watch our home-teams destroy visiting teams. Catch a $15-$30 Manitoba Moose Game. They play Iowa Wild at 4:00 p.m. at The MTS Centre.
I hope you all have a great NYE! Post your NYE celebrations and midnight smooches on Instagram or Twitter and use the hashtag #finditdowntown to win a night-out-for-two in 2016!