Maybe you’ve already noticed, but for the sake of clarity, I’ll say so myself: I’m not a very sporty gal.
I was the kid who would sneak out of gym class to go shopping downtown. I’d choose pumps over pumping any day. I’m much more interested in restaurant reviews than sports stats. And…I’m almost sorry to say that I’ve only set foot in our very own MTS Centre for concerts and things other than hockey.
But it’s all about to change.
It’s been declared the Year of Sport in Manitoba (aside from the usual suspects, we’re hosting FIFA Women’s World Cup of Soccer AND the Grey Cup!) and I’m kicking it off (puns always intended!) the best way I know how.
Tomorrow our hometown boys play against Ottawa and I am very excited to finally have the chance to cheer them on!
Here’s my tentative agenda for the evening. Please let me know if I’m on the right track:
1. Head to the Jets Gear Store at 300 Portage Ave. on my lunch break to pick up something thematically appropriate to wear to the game, so everyone knows who I’m cheering for.
2. Dash to the Yellow Dog Tavern at 386 Donald (hop, skip & jump away from MTS Centre) right after work to grab a spot because I hear it fills up VERY quickly on hockey nights!
3. Have a bite to eat, perhaps my favourite grilled cheese sandwich in the city (the rosemary adds a little something extra special), but really anything on this not-your-average pub-grub menu will satisfy!
4. Instagram (#finditdowntown)
5. Wash it down with a local beer – they’ve got the standard line-up of Half Pints on tap, and they’ve also always got first dibs on any of the exclusive, limited time Half Pints kegs (think Pistachio Mustachio for Movember, etc.)
6. Scoot over to the MTS Centre, find my seats, shout “Go Jets GO!” as many times as possible, perhaps grab a Jets Dog as a snack (I hear they are epic), cheer some more, and hope they win!
7. Instagram (#GoJetsGo, #finditdowntown)
Sound about right to you? What does your typical game night look like? Which are your favourite pre- and post-game hang outs? What are your favourite snacks at the game?
Fill me in, friends – I’m a rookie!