It’s Friday (yay!) and that means it’s time for another installment of Peggy’s Secret Santa. This week’s winner is Louise, who was nominated by her friend Linda. Here’s what Linda had to say:
Louise is a remarkable woman who unselfishly and constantly gives to others. Her “down time” is when she finally lays her head on the pillow.
I met Louise in 2007 when looking for suitable volunteer opportunities for myself and my father (a person with Alzheimer’s disease). Louise introduced us to the Transcona Senior’s Congregate Meal Program where she works. A week later, she welcomed us with a big smile, hug and open heart.
Since that time, I’ve gotten to know Louise better and am awed by her genuine spirit of giving to others year round. Some examples of her extraordinary efforts include:
– being the wife and caregiver to her husband who has MS
– being an exemplary role model to her grandson
– sitting with “end of life” persons in the absence of their family
– taking seniors with specific challenges under her wing (providing transportation to/from appointments, hospital, etc.)
– overseeing and helping make 600 sandwiches weekly for “Feed My Lambs” (ministry to street/homeless persons)
– promoting of, and engaging others, in many charitable/humanitarian causes (Operation Christmas Child is one example)
One may think that Louise is retired. She is not. She does all the things listed above (and so much more) after her work day is done.
In my eyes, Louise is truly phenomenal. She has enriched my life greatly in the short time I’ve known her. I am proud to nominate her for Peggy’s Secret Santa.
So that’s Louise—as caring and giving a person as you could ever meet. Just to illustrate what a kind soul she is, I actually found her pruning the plants in our office when she came by to pick up her prize!
For Louise I picked up this beautiful pair of fur lined mitts from SF Imports in The Forks Market. She absolutely loved them and told me she has a scarf that perfectly matches them. (I think I’m going to pursue a career in personal shopping when this is all done.)
The nominations for Peggy’s Secret Santa are now closed. I have one more prize to give away next week. I ended up with close to 80 nominations and it was so hard picking just six. I have been overwhelmed at the number of selfless, giving people living in this city. You are all remarkable, and I sincerely wish I could award everyone with a prize. Thank you so much to everyone who entered.