One of the best things about downtown in the winter is definitely the indoor walkway system. You can go for miles without ever needing to step outside, and the best part is there is no shortage of things to do along the way.
I figured since you’re heading to the Festival of Trees and Lights anyways, I would offer up some ideas on what to do after you’ve oohed and aahed at the trees.
1. Stop in at Marcello’s for an espresso, coffee or delectable brownie. Located inside Manitoba Hydro, this hopping spot is also a great place to pick up warm homestyle lunches and soul soothing soups.
3. Have lunch at Samurai Japanese Restaurant located at 330 Portage Avenue in the former Fyxx location. You can get there through the Newport Centre. Don’t forget to try the fish and chips roll—it’s my favourite!
4. Pick up all the Christmas decorations and wrapping paper you need on the fourth floor of the Bay Downtown. While you’re there, be sure to check out the new Zellers located in the basement. I’m especially loving the revamped grocery store.
5. Get stocking stuffers for everyone on your list at Sweetz, located on the second floor of Portage Place. It’s hard to resist their collection of nostalgic candy you’ll remember from your childhood. Nerdz anyone?
6. Stop in at the Millennium Library and browse the shelves for some winter reading. Pick up a classic like Dickens’ Christmas Carol and read it with your family. Also, don’t miss the Human Bean’s tasty treat “Moose Poop”—a chocolately concoction not to be missed!
7. Don’t go to that holiday party empty-handed. Pick up a bottle of wine at the Winnipeg Liquor Mart located in cityplace. They’ve also got beautiful boxed sets featuring a variety of different liqueurs perfect for gifting.
8. Buy yourself a treat at Cobbler’s Corner located in Winnipeg Square where they have dozens of stunning handmade moccasins and mukluks for sale. You’ve got to keep those feet warm!
9. Go for dinner at Hy’s Steakhouse located in the Richardson Building at Portage Main. This downtown staple serves up some of the best steaks in town and their sumptuous dining room is perfect for a special night out.
10. Cross that someone special off your shopping list with a trip to Paris Jewellers located in Winnipeg Square. Sparkling jewellery, shiny watches and glistening crystal will put a smile on his or her face come Christmas morning.